To celebrate the 4th annual National Kawasaki Disease Awareness Day on January 26, 2014, I will be posting 26 ideas on how you can spread KD awareness in your own community and beyond - one idea per day until the 26th.
Here are the past days:
Day 1: Help make 'National Kawasaki Disease Awareness Day' officially recognized at the local, state, and national levels.
Day 2: Create an email signature to promote Kawasaki Disease awareness.
Day 3: Organize an art contest.
Day 4: Pass out KD awareness posters.
Now let's get to today's idea:
Day 5: Blog or Vlog about your Kawasaki Disease experience.
It has never been easier to share your words with others. Blogging is free and more popular than ever; some of the most poignant and inspiring articles that go viral begin at small, personal blogs and are picked up by larger sites. Your words can reach out to scared or confused parents around the world and make a difference in their lives. I tell you, it is a magical power. But you don't have to take my word for it, just ask any of these bloggers who write about Kawasaki Disease:
- Todd's Story
- A Kawasaki Heart
- Molly's Heart Story
- Evan's Updates
- Motorcycles Don't Cause Kawasaki Disease
- Isaiah's Journey
Other writers use their already established blog or other social media to spread their KD story:
- Kawasaki Disease Awareness by Being a Mom and a Business Owner.
- What Should I Expect From Open Heart Surgery? by Stockpiling Moms.
- Kawasaki Disease: Raising Funds and Awareness by Lily Nelsen.
- Kawasaki Disease FAQ by Ashley Spain: The Many Ramblings of a Sarcastic and Sleep Deprived Mom.
- My Family's Story: Conquering Kawasaki Disease by Yesterday On Tuesday.
- Kawasaki Disease: A Nightmare I Never Expected, Part 1 by My Little Circus & Me.
- A Mac Mom's Medical Journey: Story of Fear and Hope by Macaroni Kid South Lake.
- CFC Benefits the Kawasaki Disease Foundation in June by The Do-Gooder Mama.
- Finding Hope by My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia.
- Kawasaki: My Story by From Here to There.
- My Scary Experience with My Son's Fever by Rosie Pope Blog.
- Jordan's Kawasaki Disease by Ashley's Attick Blog.
- Rory, Incomplete Kawasaki Disease, and What's Next by DOctah Dad Blog.
- My Daughter's Kawasaki Syndrome Saga by JewishMom.
- A Tale of How We Overcame Kawasaki by Princess Dana Diaries.
- Kawasaki Disease - A Week in Hospital by BECreative.
- December 5th - Our Kawasaki Disease Anniversary by HipMamaB.
- Kawasaki Disease - A Parent's Experience by This Life I Lead.
- Kawasaki Disease - Two Things You Need to Know by Pet Cobra.
Are you more of a visual person than literary? Consider making your own video for youtube. A picture says a thousand words -- this phrase has special meaning to KD, considering the disease is diagnosed by visual symptoms. Other KD families have made some very informative and moving videos which show in great detail what the symptoms of Kawasaki Disease look like. Some of these families have experienced things like refractory KD, recurrent KD, and a KD diagnosis in more than one child.
- Kawasaki Disease by Jen Grant
- Kawasaki Disease by Kristin Salazar
- Kawasaki Disease Tre's Story by Amber Soileau
- Kawasaki Disease Olivia's Story by Angel Clore
- Juliet Kawasaki Disease Fight by BarbieJulietMommy09
- Kawasaki Disease (KD) Awareness by Neil Reyes
- Kawasaki Disease Awareness by Christy Perry
If you are interested in sharing your story but don't want to start your own blog, there are many other mediums to use to spread your Kawasaki Disease message, and I'll address some of them in the days ahead. If you have written your story somewhere, please share it with us here or on Desperately Seeking Kawasaki's Facebook page. And come back tomorrow for Day 6 of the 26 days of Kawasaki Disease Awareness!